Tuesday, May 12, 2009

How Could I Use a Blog In My Classroom?

I teach third grade at Lowell Elementary School, in Everett, WA. I am currently getting my masters degree in Integrating Technology in the Classroom. I am intrigued with the idea of using a blog in my classroom. How would my students benefit, what would I use the blog for?

I think that at this point I would like to use the blog to showcase student work. I know that my students always work to produce higher quality work when they know that it is going to be shared or published. I feel at this point this would be a good first step to starting a classroom blog. Of course, I am open to suggestions, ideas and concerns too. Please feel free to share!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, do you think that you could change the color of your font from red to another color that is easier to read? That would be better if you could do that!
    Thanks!
    Dr. L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Amy. I believe your students would love to have their work placed on a blog site. They could make it more personal and you would be integrating fairly technical skills at an early age. Your students may surprise you with some very good work. I see it as your classroom environment online for us all to view. If you are able to create a site, I would love to be invited to view it. Maybe you would be able to interact with another class from across the country sometime by sharing their work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virgil,
    That is a great idea! Like "pen pals"! I have contacted my district and they are getting me set up with an edublog account, I don't think I will have it all up and running this year, but plan to start off in the fall with my new group of kids! Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Amy that is a wonderful idea. Maybe there's a way to create a folder for each student's work so that it can accumulate throughout the year and others in the class could view it whenever they want. You could even give each student someone else in the class' name and have them look up a piece of that student's work and respond to it as a writing activity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think using a blog to post student work is a great idea. It will also help you teach your students about producing work for an audience. I wonder what precautions are necessary with such young students. I know if it were my third grader using a blog I would want access to be available only to students and parents, not the whole world wide web. Do you think this would be something your parents would worry about?

    ReplyDelete